Sunday, January 30, 2011

Commercial vs Editorial modeling

*
Commercial vs Editorial modeling

This is the difference between commercial and editorial modeling, in my opinion.

Put simply, I see commercial modeling as pretty. I see editorial modeling as ugly (don’t worry, ugly is a good thing here).

In editorial, you have to stretch your abilities and take risks. When you take a risk, you get a unique photo that may not be very pretty, but it’s gorgeous in a unique, edgy way. It’s that one risk that will get a stellar photo. You have to be ugly and spontaneous, because that's what captures the beauty. If you want to jump, let the photographer know and just jump until you feel like you've got an amazing shot. Always be moving and changing expressions.

Being editorial is also being more comfortable in your own skin. You're not afraid. Not afraid of risk or being ugly.

In commercial, there is no risk involved. You don’t have to put yourself out there and be crazy. Commercial is tame, laid back, and pretty. It has more of a natural feel.

I definitely feel like I lean heavily towards editorial. Maybe it’s just because I want interesting photos. And I'm crazy and I like to see crazy, not plain... And I think my face is an advantage for being editorial. So being crazy, being bored, and having a unique face also help :)

~Briauna Mariah

*(I do not claim credit to the above photo, it's purpose is solely for using as an example)

1 comment:

  1. Very useful Post. I found so many interesting stuff in your Blog especially its discussion. Talent Zaadey, Best Modeling and Talent Management Agency In Mumbai. We Provide International Male, Female, Girls & Boys Model In Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore.

    Modelling agency in Mumbai
    Modelling agencies in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete